A light, hearty salad featuring walnuts, shallots, gruyere cheese and a splash of the Elk Island Confluence Red.
Vitners Salad-Serves 4
For the dressing:
Combine all ingredients and shake well to combine.
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Elk Island Confluence Red
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 6 1-inch thick slices baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups mixed young salad greens
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly toasted. Set aside. Toss the salad greens with the dressing and onions. Place on serving plates. Top with walnuts, bacon, cheese and croutons.