Wheat Berry Salad
Serves: 6 servings, serving size 3/4 cup
- 1 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tart dried cherries or cranberries, chopped
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Let soak overnight. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool. Toast the walnuts in a medium, dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes or spread on a baking sheet in a 350o F oven for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, nuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Calories 360; Total Fat 17 g; (Sat Fat 2 g, Mono Fat 6 g, Poly Fat 8 g) ; Protein 9 g; Carb 46 g; Fiber 8 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 15 mg
Excellent source of: Fiber, Vitamin K, Manganese
Good source of: Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Copper, Iron